Saturday, May 10, 2008

5/10/08: Buster & Fergie

I know Jessica pretty much spent the whole day with Tinkerbell. She went on tv with her and then Tinkerbell got to spend time hanging out in the office. I don't know who was happier. :) It looks like Jessica's hard work is paying off...at the end of the day, a couple filled out an application on her and it looks really good!

I took out Buster & Fergie. Both were awesome!!!!!! I was so happy because they are some of the more reactive dogs. BTW I think Fergie is going into heat.

Buster met Tinkerbell through the fence today. Of course Tinkerbell was a dream, but Buster did well too. Maybe I was wrong about him, maybe I mistook his excitability for reactiveness. He did well coming out of his cage - I took him out through the back and then walked him through the L. He still was a little reluctant. I also let him briefly sniff the new pit in 35 (male) and he was fine (both of them were actually). He was okay with Tink too. He was jumping on the fence and barking non-stop at her, but his tail was wagging. His energy seemed very high (he almost seemed desperate) and I think another dog could mistake that for aggression. Just something we'll have to think about when adopting him out. Jessica also thought that he was just excited and not reacting or being aggressive toward Tinkerbell.

He didn't particularly like the "choke collar" effect of the leash. But he did really well with let's go. He had a hard time at first, but got the hang of it quickly. He's a pro at sit and is actually quite good at down. We worked on stay a little bit. He could do it with your back turned for 5 seconds. At first he was breaking it a lot, but again got the hang of it. He could use more work on stay and I don't know how he is with come, but since he never runs, I would think he needs work on that too. All in all, he was amazing. I mean he's no Tinkerbell or Froggy, but he leaped up my "favorites" list. He loved being pet and was lying on the ground so I could rub his belly.

Fergie also did better than I was expecting. I also took her out through the back, but walked all the way around the building with her. Man, she pulls like crazy when walking. Her loose leash walking could definitely use some work. She wasn't reactive towards the other dogs either (just Buster, especially when he was going back in his cage. She also started doing her jump up on the cinder blocks and peek through while sounding like she's going to kill him thing She did get down when I yelled at her - emphasis on yell). She did great with her martingale collar. She did well with let's go, and sit. She doesn't know down but can probably shape into it. She did well heeling and is getting the idea to sit down whenever you stop. She is so super slobbery. She also did really well going back in her cage. I got her to stop half way there and sit for me. She'd probably learn "watch me" relatively quickly. I was so happy with the both of them!

I have to say that I am pissed that Sassy's tag was changed to "Caution". She is definitely not a caution dog. She gets really upset when you pay attention to other dogs and will do whatever it takes to get your attention (jump, bark, claw at the door, and even bite the chain-link). BUT she doesn't do that if you are paying attention to her. Separation anxiety, yes, high maintenance, yes, needy, yes, "caution," no. I was actually working with her and Froggy side by side in their kennels and she was still fine. She knows sit, and remembered down (which she just learned last Saturday). She's really smart but is going to be hard enough to adopt out with her neediness. She really doesn't need friggin' Ed saying that she's a bite risk for no friggin' reason. Okay, I'm done.

I could reeeeeally use some more/new info on Tracie, Tank, Snoopy and any of the new dogs (intake since 4/27) minus Miss Wiggles (who was apparently being a twerp today and needs some firm obedience). Has anyone taken them out recently?

Does anyone think we need to firm up the "training" list? I personally think that it's okay for now since the dogs we end up training seem to be favorites among almost everyone. I know dogs that I think need training are pretty much the black and white ones. :) (Fergie, Buster, Alvin, Snoopy & Tracie). I know that those are dogs that I don't usually take out. Does anyone else work with them?

No comments: